21.63 x 17.63 inches framed
Price available upon request
Maurice de Vlaminck was born in Paris in 1876, but moved to Vésinet at the age of three. Trained as a double-bass player, Vlaminck worked as a musician until 1900, when he happened to meet artist André Derain. Derain ignited Vlaminck’s artistic passions, and together they rented a hut to serve as their studio. He was further inspired by a Van Gogh exhibition in Paris the following year, and was then encouraged by Henri Matisse to exhibit at the Salon des Indépendents.
In 1905, Vlaminck, Matisse, Derain, Friesz, Manguin, and others held a group exhibition introducing radically new color schemes and application, giving birth to the “Fauve” movement. Art dealer Ambroise Vollard consequently acquired Vlaminck’s entire oeuvre.
In 1914, Vlaminck’s career was interrupted for four years after being drafted into the war. After his release, he settled in Paris, where he continued to develop his style as a landscape painter. He was honored with several international exhibitions throughout the 1930s. In the last years of Vlaminck’s life, his friend Sigmund Pollag collected his graphic works and donated them to the Kunstmuseum Bern in 1970. Vlaminck also wrote over 20 books, including autobiographies.